When you depend heavily on your truck, it makes sense to do everything you can to help keep it running as smoothly as possible. However, if you have a diesel engine, you’ll need to maintain it in a different way than you would a gas engine.
Take a look at the tips below and make plans to perform these preventative maintenance steps regularly if you’re not already doing so. Then, make sure to do your research to locate a reliable, experienced diesel shop in Wytheville, VA that you can trust when the time does come for repairs that go beyond the scope of basic maintenance:
- Keep an eye out for leaks in your engine: If you notice any coolant or oil leaks, a repair is in order. While in many cases a leak is a fairly straightforward issue to address, you’ll definitely want to have the repair performed as soon as possible to be sure the leak isn’t a sign of a more involved problem.
- Monitor the vehicle’s tire pressure every day: Be sure that your tires are always correctly inflated to avoid surprises later on. Because this is a basic step that you can perform each day, it should be fairly easy to get into the habit of completing this important check.
- Monitor the fan belts: This is another key task that should be performed daily. You want to be sure that the fan belts seem to be functioning well and are maintaining the correct amount of tension.
- Inspect your tires frequently: You’re looking for signs that your tires seem to be maintaining a regular wear pattern. For this reason, if you observe any irregularities, it may be time to visit a diesel engine repair shop to have an axle alignment performed.
- Don’t overlook your radiator: Experts recommend using water at a low pressure to flush out your radiator two to three times per year. Whether you choose to perform your own preventative maintenance on your radiator or have this service performed by a professional, don’t put off this essential task. Clearing the radiator of dirt, debris and insects lowers the risk of possible overheating.
- Fill up with high-quality fuel: Only buy fuel from shops or distributors you can trust. Your engine’s fuel isn’t an area to cut corners. By sticking with reliable fuel providers, your chances are considerably lower that your vehicle will become contaminated with poor quality fuel containing motor oil, which some truck shops may add to their fuel tanks.
Performing these actions will make a noticeable difference in the overall performance of your diesel engine, in addition to giving it a longer life.
If you have questions about any of these preventative maintenance steps or you require diesel engine repair, there’s a team of experts right here in town that you can turn to! Complete Truck Service Inc. has been the premier truck and trailer diesel shop in Wytheville, VA since our beginnings in 1983. We offer roadside assistance, heavy wrecker services, semi truck and trailer repair, heavy duty diesel mechanic work and more. Stop in today or give us a call to schedule an appointment or to receive a free estimate. We’ll have you back out on the road again in no time!
Categorised in: Diesel Shop
This post was written by Writer